Self reliance is a fundamental principle of mountaineering. By participating we accept this and take responsibility for the decisions we make. These Conditions Reports are intended to help you make good decisions. They do not remove the need for you to make your own judgements when out in the hills.

Sunday 13 September 2015


Since I came back from Italy the weather in Scotland has been really quite good. Last weekend I helped marshal the Ben Nevis Race in great sunshine but a bitterly cold wind. Monday was a wonderful warm and sunny day above the clouds on Tower Ridge. On Tuesday I looked after a very fit group of American walkers mostly in their 50s and 60s to walk up Ben Nevis. Being from California it was not hot for them but it was hot for most other people up there.


On Wednesday I was working with first year degree students at West Highland College. We went up Ledge Route on Ben Nevis which gave me a great opportunity to tell them all about the North Face Survey and to show them the rare mouse ears and saxifrages at the top of Number Four Gully. I was out with the same students on Friday as well on a traverse of Meall Cumhain above Steall in Glen Nevis. Yesterday I looked after nearly 200 people on the Dream Events Ben Nevis Charity Challenge with a team of six guides. The high pressure had moved away and strong SE winds made it quite heavy going near the top so we turned people around at 1200m. Today I helped the rescue team try to get a stuck calf out of Steall Gorge. It's a busy and varied life as a mountain guide!



3 comments:

  1. Man, you're still climbing and travelling in mountains. I know that it's not you passion, it's your LIFE! :) Keep it up and be happy that u can do what u love. Regards from Poland!
    P.S. Have you ever been there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still climbing and still loving it. I went through Poland to Slovakia one time to have a look at the Tatras. I'd love to go back there.

      Delete
  2. Hey Mike, I can't find your email address. Please send me a message to shotgym@gmail.com :)
    I have some questions to you.

    ReplyDelete